Wellcome at Juhos handmade shoe atelier's

About Juhos shoe atelier 

 


I made this blog here, because in my home page I can make it only in Hungarian, but I don't want You to miss the opportunity, to know more about my craft, about shoemaeing, and about my family.

Our storie:

My grand-grandfather Vitus Juhos established "Juhos" shoe business in 1910 in Óbuda. Óbuda means Old-Buda and it's is a part of Budapest. Between WWI and WWII, my family got a small shoe industry in Újpest, but after WWII the govermant tok it.

          Those times where hard, but my Grandfather Ferenc Juhos somehow managed to run the business... Well-known, that those times belonged everything to the states. Industries, shops and the peoples own hous where nationalized. In those times You can't go to the leather factory and buy leather, because the leather where made for "our Comrade", so You had to "get" it...
Naturally, we're talking about a kind of swop business, or bribing. And my grandfather unfortunateley where cought. He got for this "high crime" 15 Years prison.
           Luckily he where jailed only two or three years, than with Stalin's death in 1953, in Hungary where a huge amnesty, and masses where ste free. inklded my Granddad.

           And to see how grate man he was, less then a half year after his release, he opened a shop in the Kígyó street in the downtown.... A few years later, he find the shop in the Váci street, where You can  wisit Me, the fourth of the Juhos shoemakeing generation.  

Comments

Popular Posts